George Strait is one of the most successful and popular country music artists of all time. He has sold more than 100 million records and has had 60 number-one hits on the Billboard charts. He is known for his traditional country sound and for being one of the “kings” of country music. George Strait was born in Poteet, Texas, on May 18, 1952. He began his career in 1975 with the release of his self-titled debut album. Strait’s popularity really took off in the 1980s with the release of several hit albums and singles, including “Ocean Front Property” and “All My Ex’s Live in Texas.” He has continued to enjoy success throughout his career, and in 2013 he was inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame.
-Here are 15 things you might not know about George Strait:
1. He was almost a professional bull rider.
2. His first wife passed away tragically.
3. He’s a member of the prestigious Grand Ole Opry.
4. He’s known for being a stay-at-home dad.
5. He doesn’t drink or smoke.
6. He’s a huge Houston Texans fan.
7. He once had a pet alligator named Alfonso.
8. He loves to golf and is a member of the Augusta National Golf Club.
9. He has his own line of cowboy boots.
10. He’s a member of the Texas Rangers Hall of Fame.
11. He was inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame in 2012.
12. He has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
13. His daughter, Jenifer, is also a successful country music artist.
14. He has twin granddaughters named Ava and Olivia.
15. He announced his retirement from touring in 2014, but continues to release new music and perform live occasionally.